Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Environmental Portraiture

Environmental Portraiture is different from Studio Portraits.  An environmental portrait is taken in a clients home, place of work or in a place other than a studio that he or she is comfortable.  Here's a shoot I did at a clients home where I used small flashes to set up studio like lighting and used her home as the back ground instead a studio back drop.

Angel and her Daddy.  I used a Nikon SB-600 flash, on a light stand and a shoot through umbrella to my left side.  I Had another Nikon SB-600 on the floor behind them for a separation light.  I used a Nikon SU-800 flash controller to fire them.  I had a silver reflector on my right for fill flash.  They were sitting on their couch in their own living room and looked more natural than posed.

Angel and Dad 003

Here's a shot of Angel on the car she was taking to her Prom.  I used the sun shining from behind her as a fill light and used a SB-600 off to my left as a Key light.

JIM_3297_edited-1

This last shot was back inside Angel's house, with her sitting in a chair.  The same lighting scheme as before, flash on my left and behind, silver reflector to my right.

Angel 005


I've found taking portraits in a clients environment is a lot of fun for me and them and the photo's seem to turn out better (making for a happier client.)  The clients seemed impressed I could set up a studio in their homes and they enjoyed helping me move and hold lights and reflectors and to have fun during the shoot making for a fun time.

The downside is having to take your lights, light stands, umbrellas and any other impedimenta you have along for the shoot.  Using small flashes makes this less painful.

Next up will be two environmental portraits in outdoor locations.



No comments: